top of page
  • How do I contact the village?
    Village Of Clinton PO Box 129 Clinton, WI 53525 Phone: (608) 676-5304 Fax: (608) 676-5984
  • Do I need a permit for a fence?
    YES, you are required to have a permit. Please complete application (pdf below) and turn in at The Village Hall. You can view the fence ordinance here: Fence Ordinance
  • When is the Village Hall open?
    Village Hall is located at 301 Cross Street and is home to the Administration Office and Police Department. Due to short term staffing issues, Village Hall will be open the following hours: Administration Office (Administrator, Clerk, Treasurer): Monday- Thursday 8AM to 2PM. Friday, 8AM to 1PM *Except for Federal holidays and emergencies. Police Department provides services 24/7. Contact the Rock County Communications Center: 911 Emergencies / (608) 757-2244 for Non Emergencies. The Police Department Administrative number is (608) 676-5140
  • Where can I find important village phone numbers?
    DIAL 911 For Emergencies. Important non-emergency numbers
  • Who do I contact regarding the cemetery
    Contact Dave Hahn 608 751-6567 (cemetery is privately owned; the Village doesn't have any records) The Village of Clinton has no involvement with any cemeteries.
  • Where can I find information about voting and voting registration?
    Voting information can be found on our website or by visiting MY VOTE WI
  • When are village tax bills sent out and where can I pay them?
    Village tax bills are sent out the middle of December. The first installment or full payment is due January 31st. Taxes are collected by the Rock County Treasurer's Office. Payments can NOT be made at the Clerk's Office in Clinton. The Rock County Treasurer's Office is located in the County Court House in Janesville. Payments can be made there personally or mailed to: Rock County Treasurer 51 S Main Street Janesville, WI 53545-3951 If you would like a receipt you must send a self addressed stamped envelope with your payment. You may also pay electronically online at for the link to GovTech Services Inc. A fee will be charged for both online and phone payments.
  • How can I get a copy of my tax bill?
    If you do not receive your bill in the mail or would like another copy, go to Rock County Tax Database
  • Do I need a burning permit and how do I get one?
    Burning Permits are free of charge and can be obtained by calling the Clinton Fire Department at 676-5550 or the non-emergency distpatch number 757-2244.
  • Do I need a building permit?
    Please contact Char Martin for all building permit questions. 608-931-6759 Only yard waste will be allowed at this site. NOTE: To access the compost site use Milwaukee Street to Industrial Drive south to Punzel Drive then east to Scot Drive. (Scot Drive from Delco Drive to Punzel Drive is now a private road and should not be used by the public.)
  • When is the village compost site open?
    The Compost Site located at 100 Scot Drive will be open in April 2024. The exact to be determined. The site will be open on Saturdays from 10-2pm and Wednesdays from 3-7pm. Only yard waste will be allowed at this site. Note: To access the compost site use Milwaukee Street to Industrial Drive south to Punzel Drive then east to Scot Drive. (Scot Drive from Delco Drive to Punzel Drive is now a private road and should not be used by the pubic.)
  • How do I handle appliance or large furniture trash pick up?
    Call Badgerland Disposal at 1(608)580-0580 to let them know you have a large item. The second Thursday of the month is bulk item pickup day.
  • When is recycling and trash pick up?
    Residential waste services are provided by Badgerland Disposal every Thursday except weeks containing a Federal holiday (picked up on Friday). Residential recycling services are provided every other week on Thursday except weeks containing a Federal holiday (picked up on Friday). A calendar for recycling is available at the Clerk's Office or by calling 676-5304. The Department of Public Works asks all citizens wanting their recyclables and trash to be picked up to have their receptacles along the curb by 6:00 AM on the days of pick up.
  • Who do I call to pick up electronic equipment?
    Universal Recycling Technologies - 608-754-3400 located in Janesville.
  • Who are the utility companies for the village?
    Utilities for Village residents are: Electricity: Alliant Energy 800-255-4268 Gas: WE Energies 800-714-7777 ext 7700
  • Who do I call if I need to do any digging?
    Diggers Hotline 1-800-242-8511.
  • How do Assessors value property?
    How does the assessor value property? Wisconsin law requires that property assessments be based on Fair Market Value. Estimating the market value of your property is a matter of determining the price a typical buyer would pay for it in its present condition. Some factors the assessor considers are: what similar properties are selling for; what it would cost to replace your property; the rent it may earn; and any other factors that affect value. It is important to remember that the assessor does not create assessed value, but rather interprets what is happening in the market place through real estate sales. If my assessed value goes up, won't my taxes go up accordingly? Not necessarily. Because your community is currently below 100% of market value, you may expect some increase in your assessed value. However, if your percent change is less than average, your share of the total municipal taxes will actually go down. This is because your percent share of the tax load is less than before. If your percent change is greater than the average, your percentage share of taxes will rise, but less than the direct percent increase in value. This is because the mill rate used to calculate the tax bill will fall by the same proportionate change as the average increase in assessment. Do all assessments change at the same rate? No, not necessarily. There are differences between individual properties and between neighborhoods. In one area, the sales may indicate a substantial increase in value in a given year. Yet in another neighborhood for example, there may be no change in value, or even a decrease in property values. Different types of properties within the same neighborhood may also show different value changes. For example, one-story houses may be more in demand than two-story houses, or vice versa. Older homes in the same area may be rising in value more slowly than newer homes. Perhaps the older style homes that have been traditionally selling low are now selling much higher. There are numerous factors to be considered in each property, which will cause the values to differ. Some of the factors which can affect value are: location, condition, size, quality, number of baths, number of bedrooms, basement finish, garages, overall condition as well as many others.
  • How do I get a map of the village streets?
  • Who services the gas utility?
    WE Energies services the Clinton area. The toll free telephone number is 1-800-242-9137.
  • Who services the electric?
    Alliant Energies services the Clinton area. The toll free telephone number is 1-800-862-6222.
  • What is the phone number to the Police Station, Fire Station, Post Office etc?
    To add a new FAQ follow these steps: 1. Manage FAQs from your site dashboard or in the Editor 2. Add a new question & answer 3. Assign your FAQ to a category 4. Save and publish. You can always come back and edit your FAQs.

Contact Us

Village Of Clinton 

301 Cross Street

P.O. Box 129
Clinton, WI 53525

(608) 676-5304

Village Hall Hours

Monday - Thursday   

8:00 am - 2:00 pm


8:00 am – 1:00 pm

Village OF Clinton Logo

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page